Section  248 – Certificate of Public Good


In general, all Standard Offer Projects are required to obtain a Section  248 – Certificate of Public Good (CPG) from the Vermont Public Utility Commission prior to the start of construction.  An exception to this requirement is hydroelectric projects which are under federal jurisdiction and are therefore not required to obtain a Vermont CPG.  Hydroelectric projects are permitted under Federal Energy Regulatory Commission rules.  (Note that some aspects of a hydroelectric project may still need a CPG; for example a transmission line extension.)

The Vermont Public Utility Commission strongly recommends that stakeholders develop a full understanding of the substantive and procedural filing requirements as follows: